We’ve started a relief fund to raise money for local Boston and Massachusetts sex workers. To donate to our fund, go here! For information on how to apply to the fund, please see the bottom of this post.
The greater Boston area has been hit particularly hard by COVID-19 and as the responses call for longer periods of social distancing, sex workers face severe loss of income and support networks. Club shutdowns, appointment cancellations, and social distancing precautions have meant a dramatic decrease in work. For street-based workers, police harassment has increased while work opportunities are less frequent.
Sex workers who have been hit hardest are often those who were already struggling to make ends meet; Black, trans, queer, undocumented sex workers, sex workers who are unstably housed, those who use drugs, or who are chronically ill are all experiencing compounded effects. Throughout all of this, existing resources for help have become more and more strained.
We have assembled hygiene kits and are collaborating with a local mutual aid food distribution group to provide supplies to sex workers in need.
Your solidarity contribution will fund cash payments that we provide to sex workers to help meet their financial and material needs during this ongoing crisis. We are ready to distribute cash and supplies in person and online. This fund is made up 100% of community donations and will be distributed 100% to local sex workers.
How to Apply
SWOP-Boston is offering cash payments of $50-100 to sex workers who live and/or work in Massachusetts. We are currently prioritizing funding for sex workers affected by racist, queerphobic, and transphobic violence; those who are unhoused; and those who have disabilities or who are immuno-compromised. However, we encourage all sex workers in need of assistance in the area to apply. We will make decisions on a rolling basis every two weeks based on need as well as the order of applications.
** If you would like to apply to the relief fund or need a food and supply kit, please call or text us at 617-431-6174 or email us at email@example.com . **
When you call, text, or email us, please be prepared to answer the following questions. Please note: there are no wrong answers, but this information will help us allocate funds to those who are in the most immediate need.
- Are you a sex worker?
- Do you live and/or work in Massachusetts?
- Are you currently housed?
- Are you black, indigenous, or a person of color?
- Do you identify as LGBTQ+?
- Has your income been affected by COVID-19?
- Do you have other sources of income at this time?
- Do you have dependents?
- Do you have health conditions that put you at increased risk in relation to COVID-109?
- How much are you requesting ($50-100)?
- What is your preferred payment method (e.g. Venmo, Cashapp, Paypal, cash) (It’s easiest for us to distribute funds to you electronically, but we can also arrange to get you cash, within the Boston area.)
- Have you previously received funds from the MA Sex Worker COVID-19 Relief Fund? If so, when?